Wilton Burn-Permit Policy

It’s the Law

Smokey Bear


What am I allowed to burn?

Wood, leaves or brush less than 5 inches in diameter or untreated wood and dimension lumber. Please be advised that all outdoor burning in the State of NH is subject to NHDES Open Burning Rules.

Stumps, painted or treated lumber, tires, plastics, foam rubber, household garbage and shingles are some of the materials that are prohibited from burning.

How do I obtain a permit to burn?

Burn permits may be obtained at the Wilton Fire Station, 102 Main Street, between the hours of 9AM to Noon on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, dependent upon Fire Department activity.  On weekends and holidays, permits may be obtained at the Fire Station between the hours of 4PM and 5PM. Permits may also be obtained on-line by visiting the NH Forest and Lands On-Line Permitting System at the following website for a small fee to maintain the website:  http://www.nhfirepermit.com/

Please keep in mind that burn permits have to be applied for each and every day burning is to occur. Seasonal permits are not issued in the Town of Wilton due to varying weather conditions each day.
You MUST be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written burn permit.

When is outdoor burning allowed?

Outdoor burning with a valid permit is allowed from 5 PM on the day of issue through 9 AM the following day for Category II and Category III fires. Category I campfires are allowed outside of these hours with a valid permit. Per State law, burning Category II and/or Category III fires outside of these hours is not allowed unless it is actually raining, and the individual has a valid burn permit. If it stops raining, the fire must be completely extinguished.

The permittee is required to have adequate fire suppression on site while burning is being done and the fire will have to be totally extinguished or constantly attended. If it is determined by any Fire Department officer that an unsafe condition exists of any outdoor fire then it shall be completely extinguished immediately.

An individual kindling the fire is liable for all costs of extinguishment if necessary and may be subject to a fine up to $2,000 and/or up to one year in jail if found to be in violation of NH State burning laws.

In certain instances, the State of NH will issue bans on outdoor burning due to unusually dry or windy conditions. Additionally, the Fire Department or Town Forest Fire Warden may also suspend permits in the interest of public safety. When such conditions are met, any permit issued prior to the ban will be rescinded and considered null and void.

More information regarding daily Fire Danger Levels may be found here:

Can I obtain a burn permit if I rent property?

Burn permits will be issued only to the owner of the property. Property owners may designate permission in writing to a specific individual allowing them to apply for a permit on their behalf. A form signed by the property owner shall be kept on file (for each calendar year) at the Fire Department. It is the land owners’ responsibility to withdraw the permission of the individual should it no longer be in effect. A copy of this form is available on our website.

When are burn permits not required?

Permits are required for all burning with the exception of when there is at least two inches of complete snow coverage for 100 feet surrounding the site. ONLY in this circumstance is the property owner/designee not required to have a burn permit.

Gas grills or charcoal fires in a container up and off the ground on your own property do not require a fire permit.

PRIOR TO BURNING land owners or their designee are required to call the Milford Area Communication Center (MACC base) at 673-1414 to notify them of burning.

Thanks for your anticipated adherence to these policies.

Donald R. Nourse
Wilton Forest Fire Warden

Town of Wilton, NH | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.