The history of Wilton Community Center began with the offer by the Diocese of Manchester in 2011 to donate the Sacred Heart Church on Maple Street to the town. From that starting point, a group was formed to study how other towns had undertaken similar projects of adaptive reuse of such a building, as well as investigating the costs and benefits of beginning a community center in Wilton. When we finally went to the voters, they voted to authorize Wilton's selectmen to accept the offer of the church as a community center, but they did not authorize a budget. Not only was this demoralizing to the group, but once it became clear that Wilton would not accept the church, our group no longer felt comfortable using the facility for the events we had been holding there. After having met and held events regularly for well over a year, the group informally disbanded.
In late 2013, Second Congregational Church reached out to our former president, Nicole Colvin-Griffin with a proposition. Would our group like to use their facility for some of the same community building activities we had been holding previously? From that generous offer, some members of the original Board began meeting again with a far more limited agenda of growing the Wilton Community Center without a permanent location.
Since 2014 Wilton Community Center has continued to work to provide regular programs in the community. We are now a 501c3 organization able to accept tax deductible donations. We have received town funding of $1500 a year in the town budget every year since 2014. We continue to plan towards a future with a physical location in Wilton where educational, cultural, and social events can be offered. We are grateful for the support of other local organizations who graciously offer us or rent us their space for our events and to the community of Wilton that supports us.